Monday, September 13, 2010

Peaches, Tomatoes and Pickles Oh My!

Sorry for the cheesy title....couldn't help myself :)

Yay!  The Peach Jelly I made actually set and tastes great :)  With the over abundance of vegetables from my garden this year I decided that I should learn how to can them.  The jelly was definately the hardest- or at least the most tedious item that I made.  Needless to say I was so excited the next day when it had set correctly!!

I had a ton of tomatoes and pickling cucumbers this year.  I made tomato sauce and pickles and both came out great!  For the tomato sauce I went with very simple ingredients and it was the best sauce I have ever had!  As with the pickles I combined various recipes using basic ingredients altering the amounts to taste.  The tomato sauce was easier as I could taste as I went.  The pickles had to sit in the fridge for a few days before I was able to tell if what I did worked!  They definately tasted great, but next time I would use less garlic and dill- I have adjusted the amounts in the recipe below. 


First, my short lesson on canning, I am however no pro!  You will need half-pint jars for the jelly and quart jars for the sauce and pickles.  Bring water to a boil in a large pot, I used the common black pot with the white speckles!

Once boiling place the jars without tops in the water to sterilize for 15-20 minutes.  I used tongs to get the jars in and out.  Once sterile, remove jars and place on paper towels.  Place lids in for a few minutes to soften the band and help to seal the jar.  Remove lids from water.

Fill jars with recipe and place lids and rings on the jars.  Submerge filled jars in water and let boil for appx. 20 min.  Remove jars and place on papertowels or pot holders.  Let sit, after about 30 minutes the lids should pop down creating a seal!   


Peach Jelly

3 1/2 cups peach juice
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 packets pectin
7 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp butter


Peel and pit peaches.  Place peaches and 1 1/2 cups water in saucepan.  Boil for 30 minutes- or longer depending on how much juice is rendered.  Pour peaches over mesh strainer and let juice drip into medium bowl until correct amount is measured-discard peach pulp, or use for another recipe.  Stir in lemon juice.

In saucepan pour in juice, sugar and butter (butter reduces foaming.)  Bring to a rapid boil over high heat stirring constantly.  Stir in pectin and return to full boil.  Boil for 1 minute stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and skim off foam if any. 

Ladle into prepared jars, fill to 1/8in from top.  Boil for 10 minutes!

*The jelly takes around 24 hours to set.  I cut the recipe in half and it worked just fine!*

This recipe is adapted from Sure Jell Pectin


Tomato Sauce

Fresh ripe tomatoes
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Minced Garlic
Basil
Sugar
Salt
Pepper

Bring large pot of water to a boil and set up another larger bowl with ice water.  Rinse all tomatoes.  With a knife cut an X in the bottom of the tomatoes and cut out stem.  Drop tomatoes in boiling water for 30-60 seconds.  Remove and place directly in ice water.  Once the tomatoes are cooled in the water the skins will pull of easily!

Place all tomatoes in large pot on stove-I leave in the seeds!  With a potato masher, mash the tomatoes until broken up, but still leave some chunks.  Turn heat to medium bring to simmer- lower temp if needed.  Simmer.  Meanwhile in a small pan place a few tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and minced garlic.  Heat until fragrant, few minutes.  Add to sauce and simmer for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes taste the sauce, you may want to add more garlic.   Repeat the heating of the garlic in olive oil and add to sauce.  Add chopped basil, salt, pepper, and sugar(if desired) all to taste.  Once the sauce is to your taste follow the instructions for canning.  You can also freeze this sauce or just eat it right away!!


Pickles

Pickling Cucumbers
3 Cups Water
6 Tbsp. Vinegar
3 Tbsp. Coarse Salt
Garlic
Fresh Dill
Dill Seed

These pickles are to be kept in the fridge so you will not need to put them through the canning process!  Combine water, vinegar and salt in bowl.  Mix until salt is dissolved.

In jars place a few sprigs of dill and 1/2-1 tsp. dill seed.  Top with 1-2 tbsp. minced garlic.  Fill jars with pickle slices or spears and then fill the jar with the vinegar, water and salt mixture.  Top with lids and place in the fridge for 3 days.  Then they are ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment