Thursday, February 10, 2011

Spelt Cranberry Pecan Bread

I haven't been posting many entrees lately because I am on this crazy diet!!  I have still been baking for others which I enjoy.  But when it comes to meal time I am serving diet food to my family which they are less than thrilled about!  The author of the diet recommends spelt flour in breads instead of whole wheat flours.  You can however substitute in this recipe.  I have never worked with spelt flour before.  So in baking with it the only difference I notice is a denser bread.  This loaf turned out really great, the only thing I would have liked was to have more cranberries.  I did add another 1/4 cup which the recipe reflects below.        


1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 cup warm water (105-110 degrees)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 cups spelt flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large egg
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans




In stand mixer bowl combine all ingredients.  Mix with the paddle attachment until combined.  Once combined switch paddle attachment to the dough hook.  Knead for 1 minute or until dough is soft and smooth.

Remove dough from bowl and form into a ball.  Place into a oiled bowl and roll around dough to coat.  Cover bowl with saran wrap and let rise for one hour until puffy. 


Meanwhile oil a 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 inch loaf.  Form dough into a log shape and place into pan.  Cover and allow to rise for about another hour.  Bread should be about 1 to2 inches about the rim of the loaf pan.   



Place bread in a 375 degree pre-heated oven.  Cook for 35 minutes.  Internal temperature should read 190 degrees. 


Remove loaf from pan and allow to cool on rack.



No comments:

Post a Comment