Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Extract

I got this great book for Christmas.  It is all about canning and preserving, which I started doing this past summered really enjoyed!  One of the recipes in the book was for homemade vanilla extract.  Really simple, but one downer...it has to sit for 30 days before it is done!  I am so anxious to try it, really hope it comes out great.  I didn't have any pint jars so I had to use half of a quart jar, which I assume will be fine, but would definitely recommend a pint jar.

I will update in 30 days :)


4 Vanilla Beans (I used Madagascar Vanilla)
1 Pint Vodka
1 Glass Pint Jar

To sterilize the pint jar submerge in boiling water, boil for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile split the 4 beans in half length wise and then cut into one inch sections. 



Remove glass from boiling water.  Fill with vodka.  Place beans into vodka.  Seal the jar and place in a cool dry place for 30 days.  Shake the jar everyone few days. 



No comments:

Post a Comment