Thursday, January 27, 2011

Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Hearts

These cookies are a great treat for Valentines Day!  They look and taste great and are really easy to make.  I find it easiest to pour the melted chocolate onto a plate to dip the cookies in!


2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 teaspoon shortening

In a small bowl whisk together flour and salt.  Set aside.  In mixer bowl beat butter until smooth.  Scrape the bowl so that all the butter is at the bottom.  Add in sugar and mix until combined.  Mix in vanilla.  Slowly add in flour and mix until just combined.  Mixture will look crumbly but will be buttery soft to the touch!  Place mixture onto plastic wrap and form into a disc shape.  Refrigerate for one hour!

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Roll out dough and cut into desired shapes.  Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.  Allow to cool completely.

In microwaveable bowl combine chocolate chips and shortening.  Melt in microwave for 15-30 second intervals, stirring in between.  Dip each cookie into the chocolate until bottom is coated and place on wax paper until cooled and hardened (you can put them in the fridge to speed up the drying time)!  Place remaining chocolate in pastry bag and pipe on lettering if desired!

6 comments:

  1. Those look so pretty. I wish I could write with chocolate as nicely as you do. I'm still trying to perfect that skill. I have a linky party on my blog every week called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa!! I would love to link these to your blog! I am trying to right now, and it won't let me for some reason!!?? I will keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cookies; and your piping skills are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They turned out great, just beautiful-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!!! I could never pipe the words that pretty. Found you on Sweets for Saturday. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for all the comments!!!

    ReplyDelete